Monday, October 26, 2015

Inspiration

There are always people that touch your life. I've had the honor of meeting some very humble and interesting people. We had a neighbor growing up who lived thru the Great Depression. Getting to interview him for a school report was a hilight for me. The struggles he had to go thru were unlike anything we've faced. I can say I knew someone born in the 1800's. Another gentleman was a pilot for Nazi Germany. His plane was shot down on his second mission and he took a 30 cal round thru the leg. He told me about how he got out of Germany with his wife and made his way to America. 

Unfortunately, their lives have passed and I can no longer talk to them. That doesn't take away from the lessons they taught me. Everyone has an interesting story if you take the time to hear it. Sometimes you just need to listen and stop just waiting for your time to talk. 

More recently, I remembered some Marine influences that have me thinking. I spent Thanksgiving on base so others could go home. I was honored to have our battalion commander bring his family into the chow hall and have dinner with us. I also remember General Kelly who I served under in Fallujah. The man was a born leader and I was honored to fight for him. His words rang true on every mission. No matter what the agenda is, our job is to search and destroy the enemy and protect our own. I also had the honor of meeting General Conway, the Commandant of the Marine Corps 
He was personable and asked so many question about where I came from. It's men like these that we fight for and sacrifice because we know that we are never forgotten. 

I just hope our youth takes the time to engage in conversation and learn from those ahead of us. That's the only way our history will be carried on. By listening to those who have been there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment